F or close to 60 years, Hopcroft Funeral Home has provided care and professionalism to bereaved families.
Arthur L. Hopcroft founded the company in 1948 in Hazel Park, Michigan. Arthur quickly developed a reputation in the community as a businessman and citizen who had a great desire to help others.
As Arthur’s devotion and commitments to funeral service began to grow, so did his need for a larger chapel to accommodate the grieving families of the community.
The current Hazel Park location was built in 1955.
In 1985, the Hopcroft family acquired the Sawyer-Swanson Funeral Home in Madison Heights, Michigan. The name was soon changed to Hopcroft Funeral Home, Madison Heights Chapel.
The Hopcroft Funeral Home, Madison Heights Chapel has undergone extensive renovations and expansion since it’s acquisition in 1985. Both locations, Madison Heights and Hazel Park, will accommodate funerals both large and small. In May of 2006 the Hopcroft family purchased the Ashley-Scott Funeral Home located in Hazel Park, Michigan. This location was founded in the 1920’s by George Ashley. Robert Scott, who began working for Mr. Ashley in the 1970’s, purchased the funeral home from his employer. Mr. Scott proudly served the Hazel Park community for many years. He is now semi-retired, but is an associate of the Hopcroft Funeral Homes.
Arthur’s son, David A. Hopcroft, began working with his father in 1983 when he returned home after four years of service to the United States Navy. David attended Wayne State School of Mortuary Science and became a licensed funeral director in 1988. He continues to give the care and professional service to bereaved families that Hopcroft Funeral Homes is so well-known for. Mr. Hopcroft is joined by a professional staff and several part-time employees. David and the entire staff at Hopcroft Funeral Homes continue the tradition of kindness and compassion that was started by his dad Art in 1948. It is a tradition that generations in our communities have come to depend on.